The Essential Characteristics to use Technology effectively
We aim to equip our children with a strong foundation in the understanding and skills of coding and the use of ever-evolving technology. Our curriculum brings together the National Curriculum and Chris Quigley Milestones, so that children have the opportunity to master key concepts and skills thorough repeating essential learning objectives.
Direct instruction is used to facilitate the understanding of apps, programmes and technology. Opportunities to use these skills with a purpose is threaded through Enquiry, where the programmes, apps and devices are used to communicate learning across the curriculum. Central to all of the work covered is how to use the Internet in an effective way, including how to keep safe online.
By the time children leave our school our aim is to develop children to be an effective coder and user of technology, showing these essential characteristics:-
- Competence in coding for a variety of practical and inventive purposes, including the application of ideas within other subjects.
- The ability to connect with others safely and respectfully, understanding the need to act with moral and ethical integrity.
- An understanding of the connected nature of devices.
- The ability to communicate ideas well by using applications and devices throughout the curriculum.
- The ability to collect, organise and manipulate data effectively.
Through Enquiry based sessions, children will have the opportunity to become immersed in their theme, using resources (including visits, visitors and community links), tasks and challenges to gather information and present what they have learnt.