During their time in Early Years, we want children to be inspired and challenged within their learning in order to reach their full potential. We want our children to develop a real love for learning and desire to explore the world around them. Our environments provide children with the resources and opportunities to practise and re-visit the skills that they have already learnt as well as develop and explore new ideas.
The Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum is based upon three Prime areas of Learning –
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
And four Specific areas of Learning –
- Mathematical Development
- Knowledge and Understanding of the World
- Expressive Art and Design
Within Personal, Social and Emotional development we aim for all children to be able to:
- Play with others and share their ideas.
- Share and develop their knowledge.
- Feel valued as part of a team.
- Be confident in new situations.
- Recognise their own strengths and what makes them unique. Within Communication and Language, we aim for all children to be able to:
- Listen and join in to conversations with others.
- Understand and use a wide range of interesting vocabulary.
- Ask questions.
- Use language to re-tell and share key experiences.
Within Physical Development, we aim for all children to be able to:
- Be independent in their own self-care.
- Travel and move around a space safely and in different ways.
- Use smaller equipment and tools with precision and care.
Within Literacy, we aim for all children to be able to:
- Enjoy and share stories individually and as part of a group.
- Be able to talk about the stories that they have heard and read.
- Recognise the different sounds that letters make and know how they go together to make words.
- Talk about the different pictures and symbols that they have drawn.
- Write simple words and sentences.
Within Mathematical Development, we aim for all children to be able to:
- Use and understand number language.
- Recognise numbers and their uses in the world around us.
- Count and compare different groups of objects.
- Understand and use mathematical vocabulary to describe shape, time and measurements
Within Knowledge and Understanding of the World, we aim for all children to be able to:
- Recognise the purpose of technology in the world around us.
- Respect and celebrate the different views, beliefs and opinions of others.
- Know about our local area and understand our role in looking after the wildlife and environment.
Within Expressive Art and Design, we aim for children to be able to:
- Be creative and represent their ideas in different ways.
- Use different tools and techniques to create different effects.
- Create and share their own stories and games.
- Work as part of a team in order to develop ideas.